A successful career in Cosmetology is only half of the battle when it comes to achieving and maintaining salon success. TSPA Appleton’s beauty school program is designed to train students for much more than passing the state boards. We develop the entire salon professional with great technical ability, business & marketing training, and the guest handling skills that are in high demand by top salons and spas. However, while all those traits are super important let’s dive into 5 Character Traits that can lead salon professionals to great success.
- Determination– Determination is the force or drive one has when they want to achieve their goals and dreams. With long hours, rotating schedule, competitive market, product sales, building and maintaining a steady clientele, cosmetology is not for the faint of heart. It’s extremely important to make sure that focus and determination are key elements in helping you achieve your short term goals and eventually long term goals.
- Listening– Being a successful hairstylist means listening to your clients in more ways than one. Active listening is extremely important but so is being aware of your client’s body language. Noticing visual cues can help you know what your clients’ needs and expectations are.
- Creativity– Cosmetology is a creative field where clients are able to rely on their stylist’s options to help them make important decisions when it comes to their looks. Being someone who is creative you are able to find beauty in almost everything and in turn, this allows you to create beauty every single day by working with new innovative techniques.
- Confidence– A key ingredient in having your own happiness and success depends largely on how confident you are. Self-confidence is all about believing that you have the power within yourself to be and do whatever you set your mind too. As you enter the beauty industry, remember that a successful beauty artist is a journey, not a sprint. All you need is experience and willingness to grow. “The key to your own success and happiness lies within.” – Jon Gonzales
- Passion– As a beauty artist, hair and body becomes your canvas. Your love for creating beautiful work comes from the tools that are taught and combined with numerous influences that create a masterpiece. You cannot put a price on the joy that one feels after you create a lasting change that helps them feel beautiful inside and out. Without passion, there is no purpose and no life in the masterpiece that was created.